-
January 30th, 2011, 11:27 AM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Win ISD help please.
I think it's great that you're going to build some new cabinets for your 604's--you'll need to build larger cabinets than the black ones you're currently using to get the most out of those drivers. From your previous posts I recall that cabinet size was a concern due to the amount of space there is in your listening room--sounded to me like you wouldn't be comfortable with cabinets that are larger than the Heathkit cabs you own (that are currently gathering dust?). I would recommend that you modify your Heathkit cabinets and compare their sound to the new cabs that you build--you might be surprised that the Heathkits sound better than the ones that are currently on the "drawing board" and it wouldn't be much work to "fix" those Heathkit cabs. You might even want to consider modifying the Heathkit cabinets first--and you may decide you don't need to build a new pair. From your previous posts it sounds like the tuning of your Heathkit cabinets is WAY off. If they were mine, I'd first remove the "shelves" that someone added--that would get them closer to their "stock" configuration. Then, I'd reduce the port size (most likely by quite a bit) either by using your computer program to determine the optimum port size and/or fine tuning by ear (or even designing an adjustable port). I think those Heathkit cabs, with the right port size and no "shelves" would sound amazing......
-
January 30th, 2011, 11:37 AM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Win ISD help please.
Thanks Vott....and yes they are collecting dust....in the kitchen.
You wouldn't believe me...well you probably would but this morning I thought there was something wrong with one of the speakers so I tried adjusting the balance and realized that it was way over to one side....I'm not sure when that happened but I'm betting it was way back when I switched to the big square ports. I remember switching it back and forth between a big square port and the original round hole I had put in them. needless to say i think all this time it was off. I also noticed that ever since I switched the ports it didn't do any soundstaging like they used to...I think it was because I had the balance way off. I can be rather retarded at times....well most of the time. Now I'm gonna have to do more listening to see what I really have.....they do sound a lot better now though.
-
January 30th, 2011, 12:06 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Win ISD help please.

Originally Posted by
cradeldorf
Now I'm gonna have to do more listening to see what I really have.....they do sound a lot better now though.

Great! I don't know what the internal volume of those black cabinets is but of course the bottom line is how good do they sound to you/in the acoustical environment of your listening room. If, with the new ports (and proper balance setting) they sound great, you can always go by the old rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! I'd still do my suggested tweaks to those Heathkit cabs and compare them to the black ones--it would be a quick fix and you might be blown away by the sound of those things with the "shelves" removed and the adjusted "correct" port size....
-
January 31st, 2011, 12:24 AM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Win ISD help please.

Originally Posted by
voice of the theater
Great! I don't know what the internal volume of those black cabinets is but of course the bottom line is how good do they sound to you/in the acoustical environment of your listening room. If, with the new ports (and proper balance setting) they sound great, you can always go by the old rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! I'd still do my suggested tweaks to those Heathkit cabs and compare them to the black ones--it would be a quick fix and you might be blown away by the sound of those things with the "shelves" removed and the adjusted "correct" port size....
I figured the cabinet volume to be around 5.75 cf. I just put in the Pink Floyd Pulse DVD and I'm actually going to step out of my realm and describe it as serene, divine, titillating and absolutely mesmerizing. they have not sounded this good in a while. it was literally fantastic. I noticed right after putting the ports in that the volume had to be up more than it used to be....well to make a long story short, It doesn't need to anymore. :2thumbsup: The bass was just thundering at -11 volume.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.
Bookmarks